Thursday, October 1, 2015

THE OGRE GATE INN: A WANDERING HEROES OF OGRE GATE ADVENTURE

Followers of the blog have probably noted that I haven't posted as much as usual in the past month. This is because I am working on our first module for Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate while the rulebook is with the editor. I would like to talk a little about what people can expect. 
Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate
 by Jackie Musto


Ogre Gate Inn will be released as a full module soon after the rules become available. I already play tested the core material in my own campaign but have worked it into an adventure format and plan to test it again this weekend (and I will be sending it out to platesetters as well). Most likely this will be a 70 page adventure module similar in length to Beneath the Banshee Tree. 

As you can probably tell from the title, it is inspired by the Dragon Gate Inn movies. Fans of those films will see familiar elements in the adventure. However the inspiration was just a starting point: this is set at an inn on the edge of the frontier before a great expanse of desert. I don't want to ruin all the details for future players but I can say this is a location based adventure with lots of interesting characters and situations thrown in. There are opportunities for exploration, interaction with NPCs and groups, and more. I blended in a lot of supernatural elements as well, which I find works well in the setting. There is tremendous focus on characters in this adventure, so I've been working hard making the guests and people in the surrounding environment into stark personalities. It can also be used as an Inn the players just happen to be passing through on their way somewhere else. I've done some interesting things to keep the inn itself lively and engaging. 

In a way, this is my version of Feast of Goblyns. The setting and content couldn't be more different from that, but it is my favorite and adventure and I've always lived by the "living adventure" spirit it promoted. That is something I tried to inject here. Also, Feast of Goblyns features the Kartakan Inn, which really showcased how to make such an established work in game. Ogre Gate Inn is not as big in scope as Feast of Goblyns, there is more focus here on the inn and its environs, but I had that adventure in my head while I was working on this one. 

The text of the module will be completed by the end of the month and I hope to work on the art and maps with artists as the rulebook goes into layout. The Inn itself will use a 3D map like others we've previewed for Ogre Gate




2 comments:

  1. I can't help but think we're in a sort of friendly competition at this stage, since we're both coming out with wuxia RPG rules in a couple of months, but just wanted to say I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the genre is so niche that every wuxia product out there helps all the others. I am looking forward to your book as well.

      Delete